My Family

My Family

Monday, February 6, 2012

Cooking On The Wood Burner Stove

Living in the woods is never a dull moment.  I have been challenged by my husband to cook on our wood burning stove instead of our gas stove.  His reason is this: since we are heating the house with our wood burning stove why not take advantage of it and cook our meals on it as well.  Of course I resisted at first but to my delightful surprise, I actually love it.  Not only do we save money on already expensive $2.80 per gallon propane gas but we are kept warm as well.  So far I've made scrambled eggs, country fries, bacon & sausage, clam chowder, beef tacos, spaghetti with meatballs, baked beans,  steamed tilapia with bok choy, and even baked bread!  Baking the bread was an experiment and it turned out really good.  My bread maker machine broke which I didn't know until I turned it on with all the ingredients already in the bread pan machine.  My expert husband said, lets bake the bread on the wood burner stove.  I wasn't for it.  I told him that just stick it in the oven but he persisted so I let him take charge of the baking.  Boy, when the bread was done, we couldn't believe how moist it was.  We ate a whole loaf of bread in less than an hour.  It was that good.  I feel like Caroline in the Little House on the Prairie cooking on the wood burning stove. Though our kitchen is twenty feet away from our wood burner, I don't mind the walking back & forth for my ingredients.  It's a nice exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment